Things to see and things to do
Eritrea is a relatively small country on the northeastern coast of Africa. Its most visited destinations include the laid-back coastal town of Massawa, Senafe, Dahlak Marine National Park, Qohaito, Filfil, Dankalia, Keren, and the uniquely diverse capital city – Asmara. Below is a list of Asmara’s top attractions.
- Cathedral Our Lady of the Rosary
- Enda Mariam Orthodox Cathedral
- Medebar Market
- Fiat Tagliero
- Khulafa al-Rashidun Mosque
- National Museum of Eritrea
Where to stay
Asmara may not have a huge number of hotels, but it can easily accommodate both visitors traveling on a big budget and the ones traveling on a tight one.
Are you planning a trip to Asmara? Here you can get a room with a 10% discount!
Eritrea is a relatively expensive travel destination. Accommodation prices tend to be high (even though cheap options can be found), food is more expensive than in most other African countries, and tours can also be quite pricey, mostly due to the shortage of travel agencies and tour operators. Public transportation, on the other hand, is considerably cheap and reliable.
Best time to visit
The best time to travel to Eritrea is during the winter (from November to February). This time of year the temperatures are a bit cooler and the weather is dry.
Romance and adventure
Eritrea offers countless romantic sight and unforgettable adventures. You can enjoy the architecture or soak up the unique culture in Asmara; you can have a relaxed holiday in Massawa; or perhaps you would like to go hiking or diving in Dahlak Marine National Park, where you will experience great marine biodiversity.
Found lots of LOVE in Eritrea. 😉 ♥
Honeymoon rating of the visited destinations: ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♡♡♡
Eritrea really surprised us with its super laid-back vibe, great food, beautiful architecture, and other romantic sights. A honeymoon in Eritrea may be a wonderful idea. 🙂
* Note: This is NOT a general rating of the country, it is merely our personal opinion of the mentioned site(s) as honeymoon destinations, based on the level of tourism development, the number and quality of romantic and adventurous activities and sites it offers, and safety. We strongly believe that every country is beautiful in its own way, they may simply be more or less honeymoon oriented/friendly.
** Follow the journey on Instagram. 😉 There you can see our clean-up stories and check out our peace and sustainable tourism promo photos/videos. 😉
*** Use the form on the sidebar to subscribe to our newsletter and get a free customized e-postcard from every country! 🙂