Paris is the capital of France – a true fairy-tale land known for its picturesque landscapes, charming old cities, incredible castles, artistic culture, beautiful language and ‘haute cuisine’. The city itself attracts people with its rich history, majestic architecture, vibrant bohemian atmosphere, famous museums, art, fashion, three Michelin star restaurants, and many notable monuments. The blend of all these elements is what makes the city so beautiful and unique.
Paris was founded in the 3rd century BC and it has always been one of the most important cities in the world. It is still considered as one of Europe’s major financial, cultural and scientific centers.
Paris is also known as the Capital of Romance or the City of love and its nickname is well-deserved. It is probably the most popular honeymoon and romantic getaway destination. It’s because of the sights, the sounds, the tastes, the atmosphere, and the long list of romantic activities available.
Things to see
• Eiffel tower (the legendary tower, built by Gustave Eiffel, the same engineer, who built the Statue of Liberty)
• Arc de Triomphe (the famous arch at the western end of the Champs-Élysées; one of the most famous monuments in Paris)
• Champs-Élysées (the most famous avenue in Paris, known for its luxury shops, cafés, and theaters)
• Grand Palais and Petit Palais (historic exhibition halls and museum complexes)
• Place de la Concorde (a major public square at the eastern end of the Champs-Élysées)
• The Louvre + the Louvre pyramid (The most famous museum in Paris, maybe even on Earth)
Other prominent museums include Musée d’Orsay, Musée Rodin, Palais Garnier (opera house and library-museum), National Museum of Modern Art (at the Centre Pompidou), Musée de l’Orangerie, Musée Jacquemart-André, Musée national du Moyen Âge, Musée Nissim de Camondo, Musée Picasso, Musée du quai Branly – Jacques Chirac, and the Museum of Fine Arts.
• Notre Dame de Paris (the iconic French Gothic cathedral)
• Montmartre (a large hill and historic district, known for its artistic atmosphere, lively nightlife and the Basilica of Sacré-Cœur)
• Basilica of Sacré-Cœur (the renowned church on Montmartre; a major landmark)
• Catacombs of Paris (an underground cemetery; a tourist attraction)
• Sainte-Chapelle (a beautiful Gothic royal chapel)
• Pont Alexandre III (an extravagant bridge over the Seine river)
• Panthéon (a Neoclassical building, located in the Latin Quarter, which serves as a mausoleum of distinguished French citizens)
• Palais-Royal (a former royal residence)
• Moulin Rouge (a famous Parisian cabaret and the birthplace of the can-can dance)
Things to do
• Kiss underneath the Eiffel Tower. If you decide to go up, don’t queue for the lifts – instead take the stairs. It’s a lot faster and less frustrating. Besides, some exercise never hurt anyone. 😉
• Take a romantic walk or a night cruise along the Seine River and admire the imposing architecture and the romantic lighting.
• Take a break at a typical French pavement café and soak in the intriguing artistic atmosphere.
• Take a wine or champagne tasting tour – after all, you’re in one of the top wine-producing countries. 😉
• French cuisine is one of the best in the world. Make sure to try some of their most famous dishes and desserts, like Ratatouille (a stewed vegetable dish), Buttered Escargot (cooked snails with herb butter), Steak tartare and Cheese Soufflé, different varieties of French cheese; Mousse au chocolat (chocolate mousse), Crème Brûlée, Crêpes (French pancakes), baguettes, croissants, macarons and other pastries and sweets.
• For the ultimate romantic experience dine at Les Ombres. This rooftop restaurant offers delicious French cuisine and a spectacular view of the city.
• Have a relaxing afternoon at Jardin du Luxembourg, Tuileries Garden or Parc Monceau, some of the most beautiful green spots in the city.
• Take a walk through the Latin Quarter, known for its lively student life and bohemian culture. It’s the intellectual center of the city and a true tourist attraction.
• Some people claim that the ‘real’ spirit of the city can be found in the Canal St. Martin district, one of the trendiest neighborhoods in Paris. Come and check it out for yourself. 🙂
• Visit Disneyland Paris, the most visited theme park in all of Europe. It’s a truly joyful experience for both children and adults. 😉
• Visit the Palace of Versailles, the former royal residence, and center of political power. It’s one of the most beautiful castles in the world, known for its remarkable architecture and wonderful gardens. Today it’s a national landmark and a big tourist attraction.
• Visit the Belleville district, a colorful, multi-ethnic neighborhood, full of markets and street artists.
• If you want to go shopping, go to Rue de Rivoli or the Marais district. And shopping in Paris – one of the world’s fashion capitals is certainly an interesting experience.
• Visit the Tour Montparnasse skyscraper and enjoy the best view of the city.
• The Pont des Arts pedestrian bridge is one of the most romantic places in Paris. Until recently thousands of couples have been attaching ‘love locks’ with their names engraved, to the bridge. This gesture was considered as a promise of eternal love. Because of the extra weight, the locks had to be removed, but the bridge remains a popular meeting place for lovers.
• The Mur des je t’aime or the wall of love is a must-see for any couple in Paris. It’s a wall on the Montmartre hill, on which the phrase “I love you” is written 311 times in 250 languages.
The cheapest private rooms in Paris cost 35 EUR (38 USD) or more. Nicer accommodation closer to main attractions costs at least 60 EUR (65 USD). If you’re planning to eat on a budget, expect to pay at least 10-15 EUR (11-16 USD). Dinner with wine in nice restaurants costs at least 30 EUR (32 USD). Keep in mind to avoid tourist areas. A single metro ticket costs 1.90 EUR (2.05 USD). You save some money by buying a package of 10 tickets – you will get it for 16 EUR (17 USD). You can use these tickets for buses and RER (Regional Express Network) as well. If you’re planning to use the public transportation a lot, you should consider buying a travel pass.
Where to stay
You can find nice accommodation options on Booking. Make sure to search for private rooms popular for romance. 😉 On Airbnb you can rent furnished apartments – those are usually cheaper than most hotels and they offer you the real Paris experience.
Best time to go
Peak season is from April to October and in terms of the weather, this is, in fact, the best time to visit Paris. During this time, the city is, naturally, more crowded and the prices higher. For those of you who are not afraid of the cold (sometimes the temperature gets below 0°C – 30°F), winter may also be a good option. Paris is magical during the holiday season (especially if there is snow).
♥ Top romantic experience
Finding romance in the City of love is a no-brainer. It’s in so many sights, bites, and activities, that it’s hard to choose a top pick. The obvious one is Eiffel tower at night or even better – at sunset (this way you get to see the day and night version of the city). The view is spectacular, no doubt, but since it’s not half as spectacular without the tower itself, we preferred a picnic in Montmartre, where you can enjoy the city’s lively atmosphere and admire the panoramic view. The view is just as amazing from the Tour Montparnasse observation deck and the Les Ombres restaurant.
♥ Top adventure
Bike and scooter tours are very popular in Paris. You can also go diving, night rollerblading, punting, horseback riding, canal cruising, or swimming. For all the adrenaline lovers, there is Aerokart indoor skydiving, that simulates a two and a half minute free fall and our favorite – hiring a taxi to take you on a thrilling ride around the Arc de Triomphe. If you dare to take it to another level, rent a car and drive this chaotic roundabout yourself. If you decide to do so, make sure to buy a full coverage and be really careful!
Have you already been to Paris? We invite you to share your top romantic experience and top adventure in the comment section below. 😉