Back in 2015, Matic had to go to the USA on business. He was asked to take a 5-week course in Knoxville, Tennessee. He wanted me to join him and since I was working as an online translator at the time, I was able to do so. In September we packed our bags and flew to Miami, Florida. There, we rented a car and drove to Knoxville.
We rented a long stay hotel apartment with a private bathroom and a kitchen which became our new home for the next five weeks.
Matic attended the course every weekday from 9 to 5. I used the time to do some translations and to prepare lunch. In the afternoons, we usually went for a run or a walk in the nearby park, and in the evenings, we went to have dinner or to the movies and enjoyed some alone time.
On the weekends, however, we took some time to explore Knoxville and some other places in Tennessee. We loved it! 🙂
Tennessee is known as the cradle of country music, the home to almost 30 whiskey distilleries, including the world-renowned Jack Daniel’s distillery, and delicious barbecue dishes. This southeastern state attracts millions of visitors annually with their unique culture, good music, tasty food, and many unparalleled attractions.
Points of interest
• World’s Fair Park – a beautiful park in the heart of the city featuring the Tennessee Amphitheater, a festival lawn, a performance lawn and a lake area with fountains.
• Sunsphere – a 266 ft (81 m) high hexagonal observation tower in World’s Fair Park noted mainly for its unique design, offering a stunning panoramic view of the city.
• Historic Old City – home to many remarkable old buildings, shops, restaurants, museums, art galleries, and entertainment venues. The most prominent street in the area is Gay street.
• Market Square – a multipurpose venue in Downtown Knoxville that hosts various events, such as concerts and political rallies, and a popular gathering place for artists, street musicians, war veterans, and activists.
• Lower Broadway – a famous country music entertainment district featuring numerous ‘honky tonk’ bars.
• Ryman Auditorium – a live performance venue, which played a vital role in the popularization of country music.
• The Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum.
• The Parthenon – a full-scale replica of the original Parthenon in Athens.
• Rock City – an attraction park on Lookout Mountain, featuring rock caves, a rock trail, which leads through a variety of unique rock formations, and the High Falls, a lovely man-made waterfall.
• Ruby Falls – a 145 ft (44 m) high underground waterfall located within the Lookout Mountain.
• The Lookout Mountain – a mountain ridge, which features both Rock City and Ruby Falls, and offers a panoramic view of Chattanooga and the Tennessee River.
Rockhouse Falls and Cane Creek Falls
These two charming waterfalls are located in Fall Creek Falls State Park near Pikeville.
Top attractions in Tennessee also include the Great Smoky Mountains National Park and Graceland in Memphis. Unfortunately, we didn’t have time to visit them. Well, maybe next time. 🙂
♥ Top romantic experience and top adventure
In our opinion, Chattanooga is the most romantic destination in Tennessee, mostly due to its many wonderful sights like the Rock City, Ruby Falls, and the view from the Lookout Mountain. The short but steep hike to Rockhouse Falls and Cane Creek Falls was our favorite adventure.
Are you wondering about the daily budget, the best time to go, visa and immunization requirements, local customs, currency, electricity standards, safety tips and where to stay? Here you can find out all you need to know before visiting the USA.
Have you already been to Tennessee? We invite you to share your top romantic experience and top adventure in the comment section below. 😉